Monday 20 January 2014

Why would someone want to learn Russian?

The notes below are not meant to be scientific, just some personal research info, with my favourites highlighted in yellow.

If you ask around, the reasons that people name for learning Russian or wanting to learn Russian appear to be shifting or at least developing in an interesting way. Based on a number of conversations with those that have been around Russian language training for longer than myself, during the Cold War era, some of the reasons you would have found were:
Learn Russian in Edmonton
"The Russians are coming!"

  • The Russians are going to invade soon anyway, so I should be prepared
  • The Sputnik and the first man in space mean that Russia is way ahead in terms of their technology
  • I'm interested in history, and Russia seems to be one of the most important elements of world history
  • Don't tell anyone, but I'm being trained to infiltrate the USSR and send top-secret info

The reasons 15-20 years ago used to be mostly within the lines of:

  • I want to read Russian literature in the original
  • I want to do travel to Russia and have more independence while I'm there
  • My company wants to expand to the former Soviet Union
  • I have Russian heritage and want to reunite with my cultural roots

Nowadays, people are also learning Russian for a few new reasons:
  • Russia is the computer virus and malware centre of the world. If IT security is your thing, Russian is the language to know.
  • Russians and Russia are beautiful and mystical
  • I needed a personal challenge, and yet a manageable one (unlike, apparently, Arabic or Chinese)
  • My significant other has Russian roots or speaks that language
  • I have keen interest in Orthodox Christianity
  • I want to be able to communicate with Russian speakers playing the same MMORPG or shooter
  • Russian sounds sexy/cool
  • I'm interested in adopting a child from Russia
  • I've recently discovered Russian music and want to be able to understand the lyrics
  • Russia is still a major geopolitical rival
And what about you? Why are you interested in learning Russian?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would you like to comment?